Wednesday, June 3, 2009

If "Adapt"



"What are you gonna get today Maxine?"
"I don't know Patty. The Hay wasn't fresh yesterday. Ask the waitor if it's fresh hay."
"I don't know why we come here- we should try a new place."
"I could go for chinese."
"I hate Chinese."
"You're so picky Maxine."
"Where's the waitor? He's not getting a good tip today, I tell you."
"Pick something already - you drive me crazy."

"Ok, ok. I'll get the hay.
"Hay- again."
"I like hay- what can I tell ya?"
"I'll get the hay too."
"Where's that waitor?"


At the Bronx Zoo- there are two female Asian elephants named Maxine and Patty. They have shared a habitat for 30+ years. You can see them as you ride the tram in the Asia section. I would visit them each day last summer and imagine their conversations as they threw their lunch of hay around. Two old NY broads stuck together - on each other's nerves but in need of each-other's company too. Adapting to their daily schedule and the monotony it brings.

14 comments:

leolietje said...

I'll het the hay :)
nice!

Pascale Mackey said...

Priceless!

Maldito Columpio said...

so nice, cute couple!

Carli said...

I love it Kelly. you have such a great sense of humor. these elephants have so much personality

Burt said...

Elephants eat HAY? I so don't ever want to be morphed into one, then.

Ginger*:) said...

HI Kelly,
I love this one...and wish I still lived close enough to get to the Bronx Zoo to visit Maxine and Patty.
*:)

Unknown said...

"Ooh, maybe I'll have some peanuts for dessert!"

"Oh, girl, you're so bad. I can't eat peanuts. They go straight to my hips."

Aja said...

This is great! I love the thick glasses and the hat.

Anonymous said...

These elephants remind me of a few of the Red Hat ladies I've seen around town.

If ornery monkeys could talk, I'd bet they'd yell, "Get off my lawn!"

Cynthia Narcisi said...

Great work, Kelly. I like the personality in these characters and details!

sam said...

HA!!! I think I know these ladies.
Supper... er... I mean Super characters & Hilarious Dialog!
I hear hay keeps ya perty regular.

Jennifer Thermes said...

Great expressions, Kelly!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Very funny, Kelly!! Great illustration!

Art Fan Ako said...

The conversation between these two will drive me nuts. I wouldn't be able to adapt. Funny! Cute illustration.