Monday, September 10, 2007

New ideas


I've got a new idea for a book. This is the first character sketch. It looks too animated...I will get away from the computer for a while...crack open the paints and pencils. This idea was born out of the sleepless night I spent after the meeting with the Art Director at Clarion Books. She said I was "mass market", "appealing", "commercial" which I liken to being called the artistic equivalent of cheese whiz. I was not right for Clarion , due to my drawing style being so heavily influenced by my animation and licensed character background. She said I draw "too" well. The eyes are too big. The palette too "happy". I need to "mess things up." I have since digested her comments...some were hard to swallow, some were much needed in a medicinal kayo-pectate kinda way.... and others..well, I just purged. I am me. I draw from the place I exist... it's a happy place. I shall forge on in this pursuit of childrens books...

1 comment:

Eli said...

There are a lot of worse things than drawing too well! At least you have a style, I jump all over the place! :)