Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Day in the life...




For a stay at home Mom, who wasn't sure if she would survive re-entry into the art world, Saturday was a good day.

I was up at the New England SCBWI conference. I took some great workshops with amazing illustrators and had a positive critique with someone from Greenwillow books, an imprint of Harper Collins. I met some really nice people. Donna, Bree, Cathy, Maureen, Mary, Angie, Jennifer and Tracey. I met up with Gina Perry, the talented illustrator I met at the NYC conference, and met her friends and fellow SU grads. New England is abundant with warmth and easy conversation and friendliness...,and an awful lot of people have relocated there from Long Island!...hmmmm....

The NESCBWI held a poster design contest with the theme "Take Flight". I watched other eager, enthusiastic, talented artists put up wonderful work all around me. Some so good, I was tempted to write someone else's name on my ballot. I sat as they read the award announcements.. People's Choice.. honorable mention, third place, second place... winner... me. ME? Really? Me! Hooray! What a great thing!- I went up got my award-sat down, happy.

Next category, unpublished: I was a little foggy from happiness and kinda heard, "The people have spoken and the judges agree, a repeat winner, Kelly Light"...my next door seat neighbor, Bree Baldwin, nudged me and hit my shoulder, and I popped up out of my seat... in shock.

After that , a blur of warm wishes and congratulations and wonderful words of encouragement.

I drove home today with some new feelings I've never felt before in my 17 years since becoming a working artist. Validation. Hope. Possibility. Pride. I think I'm going in the right direction after all of those detours. Sign post up ahead reads "Keep going!"


PS: The published winner: Frank W. Dormer - great stuff, google him!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

This post almost made me cry! Congratulations! Your work is beautiful and you deserve much recognition. Things will only get better and better.

Kelly Light said...

Thank you Eric! From your lips....!

Alicia Padrón said...

Wooohooooo!!! You go girl!! That's pretty good for a girl hugh? ;o)

I'm so happy for you Kelly! You deserve this! Yes, feel good and proud. You should! :o)

Gina Perry said...

Hooray for Kelly!!! I was so excited for you and your double win! Your poster was just gorgeous. The people have spoken.

Hold on to that joy and those feelings of hope and possibility - let them carry you to great things!

Diandra Mae said...

Your poster was so fantstic-it's no surprise you won. :) Congrats!

Tom Barrett said...

Haven't stopped by in a while, so...

Congrats on your win at the SCBWI and the CD. Both look great!

Nice "Save" illo as well. It is sad that many animals are only left in memories and photos. Let's hope things change soon!

And SOOO sorry about Anakin. It is amazing how much a part of our lives our pets become. Our cat Tiger was our first "child", and he is now 9, and such a wonderful kitty. Will be hard when his time comes.

Take care!

Also, I would like to add you to my link list if that's OK.

Kelly Light said...

I thank you all for the thoughts and words! Tom.. link away!-Thanks!-Kelly

Anonymous said...

Yay!!

Ginger*:) said...

Congratulations Kelly! I loved your poster. The point of view, the color and design had all of us talking about how wonderful it was/is.

Ginger *:)

Loni Edwards said...

Congratulations Kelly! How wonderful for you! Your poster is fantastic! I sure wish I could make it to a SCBWI conference. I bet they are a blast!

Jennifer Thermes said...

Hi Kelly- I just found your blog... we met at the conference! (I was trying to talk and not spill coffee all over myself on Saturday morning...) Anyway CONGRATS on the big win-- your poster really stood out and your work is beautiful. You ARE going in the right direction!
-Jennifer (another former LI'er) ;-)

Kelly Light said...

Jennifer! I'm gonna go to your blog....